The English Montreal School Board welcomes students from all over the world into our international program.
Steps required to become an international student
There are several steps to complete before your child can be accepted as an international student. This process may take time to complete. Please review the timelines for each stage in order to be accepted.
Before you begin, the following documents must be translated into English or French by an official translator:
- The student’s most recent report card.
- The student’s birth certificate showing both parents’ names.
Once the above documents have been translated, you (parent, guardian or agency) must complete the international student procedures and protocols at the following site:
Once this information is properly completed and received by our International Student Office, they will do the following for you:
- Choose a school with the interests of the student in mind.
- Prepare a letter of acceptance for the Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- Prepare an acceptance letter for Immigration Canada study permit.
This process may take about 3 to 4 weeks to complete.
When these documents have been paid for and received by you (parent, guardian or agency), you may begin the application process for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from Quebec, and a study permit from the Government of Canada.
- Apply for a CAQ online at Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec
- Apply for a study permit online at Government of Canada - Immigration
This process may take 6 to 20 weeks to complete.
When the CAQ and the study permit have been received by you (parent, guardian or agency), the guardian for the student will visit the English Montreal School Board in person with all the following documents:
- The Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)
- The study permit from Immigration Canada
- The original birth certificate of the student showing both parents’ names
- The translated (English or French) birth certificate showing both parents’ names
With the above documents, the International Student Office will apply for a Certificate of Eligibility which is required for the student to attend an English public school in Quebec.
This process may take approximately 3 weeks to complete.